Monday, June 22, 2009

A Reunion with an "Old Friend"

Hi Guys!

I was called by a Law Firm to check on their PC. They told me if that their PC is not working properly and they can't install their newly bought printer. When I went there to check it out, I found out that they are using an old desktop PC, with the logo of BOW Enterprise.

The following are the specification of the PC:

  • OS: Windows 98
  • Processor: Pentium 133
  • Memory: 64 MB of EDO DRAM
  • HDD: 8GB IDE
  • CDROM Drive
  • Floppy Drive
  • Motherboard Slots: 3 PCI/ 2 ISA
  • 56kbps Modem Card
  • USB 1.1 PCI Card

Just want to insert what I thought when I first saw the logo. I just remembered when I was in 2nd year in college when I first have my PC hardware experience and training. I was supposed to apply as a computer laboratory student assistant when the laboratory head asked me if I had knowledge on PC hardware. It was 1997 that time and I have used PCs and Apple II during my high school but just an exposure with WordStar and Turbo Pascal Language. So, when I told the head about my PC exposure, he said that he wants an experience with the hardware and troubleshooting it.


Therefore, he got me referred to a computer store (BOW Enterprise), where I can have my OJT. When I step at the front door of the store, I introduced myself to the owner and he replied asking me if I can start that day. By that time, he was already handling me the Philips screwdriver. I've no choice, I have to say yes, and then I entered the store. He then asked me to disassemble a PC. I've no idea then on what to do. All I know is screwdriver are for screws. I just try to observe the parts and used my tool to do the thing.
I've done my first PC disassembly. Next thing, I find myself on a self study. Reading manuals, books on PC Repair and parts was my hobby since the training at the store is not like in school was a teacher teaches the student. It is more on DIY.
Anyway, I'm grateful that I've know BOW Enterprise with Sir Bong, Oscar and William. I may not repay their kindness but all I know is I can pass this kindness to others.
Going back to the old PC, my "old friend", I tried to change the operating to Windows ME first for it supports USB devices. Then I've also added a USB hub, to have an easy access to the USB port. I downloaded the driver for the printer and there, they have what they needed.

1 comment:

  1. nice work in repairs. if you want free OS and free sofwares you can visit http://ecengineering.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete